Jorge is a BSc Pharmacy from the UPV-EHU and he is currently a resident trainee in Microbiology and Parasitology at the H.C.U. Lozano Blesa in Zaragoza, working also on his PhD thesis.
1. Could you give us some insight in your current field of research?
My PhD thesis focuses on the diagnosis of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) infection by means of core antigen determination, and I am also collaborating in a line of research focusing on new treatments for H. pylori infection, funded by a FIS grant. The former, intends to perform a comparison with respect to the current technique in use for the diagnosis. The latter, analyses resistance to different Flavodoxin inhibitors.
2. Where does Biostatistics fit in your daily work?
In both areas of research that I am working on, since they are essentially comparative studies against established techniques, and therefore require techniques to prove the significance – or lack of significance- of the improvements.
3. Which are the techniques that you or researchers in your area use more often?
Statistical techniques such as sensitivity and specificity analysis, hypothesis testing (ANOVA, t-test). There is also a particular need in the area for techniques dealing with ordinal data.
4. As a whole, do you find Biostatistics relevant for your profession?
A very important part of the speciality of Microbiology and Parasitology focuses on the research of new diagnostic methods, treatments, prevalence of antibiotic resistance, etc. Therefore, Biostatistics becomes extremely useful when comparing these novel approaches to previous ones.
5. Finally, is there any topic you would like to see covered in the blog?
It would be great to see published some examples of statistical applications in my area of study.
- J. Arribas, R. Benito , J. Gil , M.J. Gude , S. Algarate , R. Cebollada , M. Gonzalez-Dominguez , A. Garrido, F. Peiró , A. Belles , M.C. Rubio (2013). Detección del antígeno del core del VHC en el cribado de pacientes en el programa de hemodiálisis. Proceedings of the XVII Congreso de la Sociedad Española de Enfermedades Infeccionas y Microbiología Clínica (SEIMC).
- M. González-Domínguez, C. Seral, C. Potel, Y. Sáenz, J. Arribas, L. Constenla, M. Álvarez, C. Torres, F.J. Castillo (2013). Genotypic and phenotypic characterisation of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) clones with high-level mupirocin resistance in a university hospital. Proceedings of the 23nd European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases and 28th International Congress of Chemotherapy.
- M. González-Domínguez, R. Benito, J. Gil, MJ. Gude, J. Arribas, R. Cebollada, A. Garrido, MC. Rubio (2012). Screening of Trypanosoma cruzi infection with a chemiluminiscent microparticle immunoassay in a Spanish University Hospital. Proceedings of the 22nd European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases and 27th International Congress of Chemotherapy.